The Federal Ministry of Power was created from the demerger of the erstwhile Ministry of Energy, which in itself was created by the merger of the Federal Ministries of Petroleum Resources and Power and Steel. The demerger was to facilitate the provision of adequate and reliable power supply for the socio-economic development of the country.
Vision: A robust and sustainable power sector that fully supports the socio-economic needs of the nation and contributes to the emergence of Nigeria as on of the top 20 economies of the world by the year 2020.
Mission: To provide the nation with adequate and reliable power supply by implementing generation, transmission and distribution projects in the sector and facilitating the emergence of a private sector led competitive and efficient electric power industry.
MANDATE OF THE MINISTRY AS OUTLINED IN THE NEPP 2001
1. To initiate policies for the development of the power sector.
2. To increase generation, transmission and distribution capacity towards providing adequate and sustainable power supply.
3. To achieve optimal energy mix, using the most appropriate technologies.
4. To reduce electricity waste by promoting energy efficiency principles.
5. To encourage local production of inputs required for the development of the sector.