KAINJI HYDRO ELECTRIC PLC
Kainji, P.M.B. 1111, New Bussa, Niger State, Nigeria.
Kainji Hydro Electric Plc operates as two separate hydro generation plants each drawing water from the Niger River. Together, the combined installed capacity of the two plants is 1330MW, with Kainji generating 760MW and Jebba 570MW. Kainji began operations as Nigeria’s first Hydro power plant in 1968. Located downstream from Kainji, the Jebba Power Plant was commissioned in 1985. Jebba is the smallest of three operating hydro-power plants in Nigeria. In addition to generation facilities, the hydro-plants have on site medical facilities, a staff school, a recreation centre, and a training school.
The Kainji reservoir provides annual storage for both the Kainji and Jebba Power stations and fills between August and December and drawn down progressively from January to August.
Kainji Hydro Electric Plc is a successor company created out of the Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN) Plc. PHCN generating capacity includes both hydro-electric and thermal plants. The PHCN thermal plants, both steam plants and open cycle gas turbine types, are located in the South both in the Niger Delta region adjacent to Nigeria’s gas fields and near Lagos.
In 1999, the FGN began an aggressive restructuring of the power sector with several aims, including introduction of efficient, private sector standards and management principles, and methodology, leading to reliable power.
In 2001, the FGN approved a National Electric Power Policy (NEPP), followed in 2005 by the Electric Power Sector Reform (EPSR) Act. EPSR Act provides the legal authority for the unbundling of Nigeria’s power utility as well as the introduction of a new, regulatory scheme managed by the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC).
On the 1st of November 2013 Kainji Hydro Electric was concessioned to Mainstream Energy Solutions Ltd on a thirty years lease agreement.
Credit: The Bureau of Public Enterprise.