wrapper

Nov 16th, 2017 Peak Generation: 4,443.4 MW | Energy Sent Out: 93,032.75 MWH

Monday, 18 August 2014 00:00

Egbin Power Plc Featured

Written by 

EGBIN POWER PLC

Egbin Power Station Complex, Egbin, P.M.B. 1013, Ikorodu – Lagos State, Nigeria.

Egbin Power Plc is the largest power generating thermal plant in Nigeria and one of the largest in the West African sub-region. Egbin has an installed capacity of 1320MW generated by six fuel reheat steam electric units. Five of the six steam units are each rated at 220MW, while unit no. 4 rating was recently reduced from 220MW to 200MW, thereby reducing the available capacity to 1300MW. 

Egbin Power currently produces 2010MW primarily to serve commercial, residential and industrial customers in Lagos State, Nigeria’s most populous city and the nation’s commercial and industrial hub, with approximately 19 million consumers. The plant is situated in Ikorodu, one of the five provinces of Lagos State. The Escravos-Lagos Pipeline (ELPS) supplies natural gas to the plant and used as a primary feedstock. 

Egbin began operations in 1985, and meets current world specifications for plants of its type. Plant facilities include an updated control room and a switchgear room. Special, integrated protection devices isolate the plant from the rest of the system in event of severe disturbance in the national grid, and a fire-suppression system incorporating hydrants and sprinklers is supplied from a nearby lagoon. Support facilities include a staff training school, a medical clinic, a club house, recreation complex and a supermarket. The plant has staff quarters consisting of more than 200 housing units ranging from single rooms to one-to-four bedroom flats, to duplexes.

Recent employee agreements are based on terms and conditions of government employment standards dating from 1998.

Egbin Power before the privatisation functioned as a unit of the Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN) Plc.  

PRIVATISATION

In May 2007, 70% of the company was sold to a core-investor, Sahara-Kepco Energy. The remaining 30% will be retained by government.

 

Credit: The Bureau of Public Enterprise.

Read 3753 times Last modified on Wednesday, 12 November 2014 18:58

Leave a comment

Make sure you enter the (*) required information where indicated. HTML code is not allowed.



Anti-spam: complete the taskJoomla CAPTCHA