Spectr News Theme
Power Sector News

Group praises Buhari’s plan to probe $16 billion failed power project

Admin
Wednesday, 13 March 2019

The Southern Nigeria People Mandate (SNPM), a Non-Governmental Organisation (NGO), has hailed President Muhammadu Buhari on his plans to probe 16 billion dollar failed power project. It will be recalled that the project spanned over the administration of former President Olusegun Obasanjo’s administration.

The president of SNPM, Mr Augustine Chukwudum, gave the commendation in a statement issued to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Enugu on Wednesday, March 13. Chukwudum also called on Buhari to also probe $20 billion allegedly misappropriated by former President Goodluck Jonathan’s administration when Emir Lamido Sanusi of Kano was governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN).

He alleged that Sanusi was removed from office because he blown alarm concerning how 20 billion dollars was moved by the then Jonathan’s administration. “We want President Muhammadu Buhari to march his word with action because during 20l5 and 20l9 campaigns, he promised to fight corruption. “Nigerians will not be happy with him if he fails to probe and recover these monies,’’ he said.

According to him, these monies totaling 36 billion dollars being probed and recovered by the government will prove to Nigerians that there is no sacred cow. “This time, Buhari’s administration must prove to the world that he is serious in fight against corruption. “SNPM demands that President Buhari should use every power within him as president to recover all these monies; while anybody culpable must be punished. “Let every right thinking Nigerian support President Buhari on this wonderful plan,’’ he said.

Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that the national chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Adams Oshiomhole, accused former president Olusegun Obasanjo of not doing anything to fix the power sector during his administration. Speaking on Friday, January 4, in Jos during the opening of Plateau state Governor Simon Lalong’s reelection campaign at the Rwang Pam Stadium, Oshiomhole said if Buhari decides to probe the power sector, Obasanjo would not escape prosecution.

About IWIN

The Independent Energy Watch Initiative (I-WIN), an enterprise of Energy ConServ and the Roundtable for the Growth and Development of Power (RODEP), is an online/web based power sector portal that strives to engage stakeholders and the Nigerian public on topical issues in the power sector.

Login
Forgot Password?/Sign Up
Registration Login
Sign in with social account
or
A password will be send on your post
Reset Password
Login