Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN)
TCN is run by 2 Departments:
- Transmission Service Provider (TSP): Develops the Transmission Grid to new areas and maintains the infrastructure in the Grid.
- Systems Operator (S/O): Operates the whole System which includes GENCOs & DISCOs i.e., decides which power station comes on and when and by how many MW, decides which transmission line or transmission station should be supplied what quantity of MW i.e., load shedding, and enforces Grid discipline.
The Transmission Grid
The transmission grid consists of conductors carried on steel towers in between transformation stations. It conveys generated power from Power Stations to Major Load Centers. The transmission grid inter-connects all Power Stations to form a solid network that is accessible to all load centers, and transports power and energy at minimum technical loss.
Challenges Facing the Transmission Company of Nigeria
- Radial Lines with no redundancies
- Obsolete Substation Equipment
- Overloaded transmission lines and Substations
- Inadequate Coverage of Infrastructure
- Limited Funds for Development projects
- High Technical and Non-Technical loss
- Limited training opportunities
- Community issues during project execution
The Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN) will be handed over to a credible private sector company under a five-year management contract.